Saturday, January 30, 2010

boro fish goblet and some glass eyeballs



8.5" tall boro goblet, with a hollow jumping koi in the stem. This poor little fellow has been staring reproachfully at me for months, waiting for me to make a suitable bowl and foot for him. Well, now that this fishy is happy, I feel free to make more.

I was pleased to receive my copy of GlassLine today, and see some really nice glass eyeballs on the cover. Recently I read a tutorial on making glass eyeballs. Not the tiny murrini type, like this fish has, but big life-size eyeballs. Okay, it's kind of hard to keep them small enough to be life-size; mine usually end up looking like they belong to the jolly green giant.

Anyway, I realized that the back of the iris looked just like the front, so I could make a double-sided eyeball! A double sided eyeball has two advantages for me -- it should work well as a goblet stem, and also, I really dislike doing marble backing patterns. lol. I'd rather make another eyeball, in the same time it takes to melt in and re-round all that glass.

Here's a pix of some miscellaneous stuff that is currently stuck in a piece of styrofoam, waiting for a goblet to call home: a dichro beetle, some ~50mm wide eyeballs, and a flower ring that I'm still staring at and wondering what it needs. The eyeball on the left is double-sided.


Here is a pix showing both sides of the double-sided eyeball. The two sides don't quite match, but I think I know how to do better next time. And it's not like they'll be viewed next to each other.


I'm definitely going to have to try making some cat eyes next!



No comments:

Post a Comment